Sunday, May 1, 2011

ish and isha

Then the man said, "This one at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. This one shall be called Woman (isha) for from man (ish) she was taken". Genesis 2:23

How beautiful is that?? Of course my favorite part is when Adam says "AT LAST"! I began to understand this verse better after Kevin and I got married. Ephesians 5:31 says “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” It is as if God separated the woman from the man, literally taking her from his flesh, then gives her the decision to join back with the man to become one again! How beautiful is that?


I love to think of relationships as a dance- the man leads the woman who must choose to follow. There is so much care and respect in dancing- so much gentleness and oneness.
Its even further amazing that in scripture there is an analogy of the church as the bride of Christ- and in the same way we see Jesus Christ desiring to lead us, but never forcing. When we look at the relationship between Christ and the church in the same way as a man and woman, Ephesians 5:24 is read less defensively: "Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."  

I am so thankful for my husband, and am loving this dance :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment