Friday, May 6, 2011

my mom

So I was surprised this week with an unexpected visit from my mom and dad! I was telling someone this at my internship and they asked if this was a good thing...it was the BEST thing!
I have never ever been someone who is homesick. My mom used to get so upset when I would go to teen camp because I would completely forget to call! Even in college I missed my mom, but it wasn't ever a huge deal.
Well suddenly in this season of my life it is now a huge deal that she isn't close by! The hardest thing is that there are days I want to just call her up and meet for coffee, share with her my concerns and hear her advice. A phone call doesn't replace a hug, or smelling her perfume.

In light of all this, Mother's Day for the past few years has really sucked. I am almost sure that Kevin and I are the only people in our church that cannot in any way celebrate this day since both our moms live over 10 hours away and I am personally not a mom. So this day really bites the big one. I'm sure there are many people out there who totally understand this, most certainly on an even deeper level than I do.

Anyway- the wonderful news is that while my mom won't be around on Sunday, I did get to get coffee with her this week :o)

If you do not know my mom, I can tell you that she is funny and creative, quirky and smart, resilient and beautiful. She knows everything about me and just what I need. My mom is a strong woman with the ability to make everything she touches beautiful. She has shaped me into who I am today, and when I realize how much I am like her I thank God for it. 



1 comment:

  1. Awwwww so sweet! So glad you got that time with your mom! Makes me feel all gushy inside. I keep forgetting it's mothers day on Sunday. It seems so soon this year. By the way the pic of you in the coffee shop, your hair is plain perfect! I miss ya friend :)

    ReplyDelete